Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post #13

media


For this assignment, I decided to do the media fast. I'll admit, i have actually attempted this once before, but I failed. At church, our youth leaders always tried to get us to do this fast. I usually ended up texting someone when I got bored, and always messed it up. This time I was successful. It is definitely very hard and requires a lot of will power! I kept forgetting that I couldn't watch television and I had to keep starting over, but eventually I remembered. As for the cell phone, my husband and I are currently sharing a phone, so I just sent the phone with him to work to avoid tempting myself. He did not have a problem with this, whatsoever, might I add. He did keep trying to watch television, and I had to keep reminding him. We have recently moved, and we have not got internet yet, so staying away from the computer was pretty easy for me. My husband took it and played "Sims 3" on it, which helped me to stay away.

I feel like this assignment should be required, because everyone needs to realize that they CAN survive without media. Of course, it complicates things a lot, and it takes getting out of tradition to do it...but I think that it is a great idea. After doing this, I learned that I really am not as media-dependent as I thought. When you first start out, you think "I can't do this. I'm not going to make it..." and then when you finish it, you have a sense of accomplishment that brings pride in yourself. Media has really became a huge part of our every day lives. We depend on it a lot. It makes you stop and think about what life was like back in the day when computers were too expensive to own! I think that if I gave this assignment to my students, most of them would not make it. There may be a select few that do, and it would probably be the ones that don't have internet or cable. This assignment will definitely make you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment