Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post #6

personal learning network


The Networked Student

This video was about a boy who does his work by using the internet. His teacher uses "connectivism", which teaches the students to use the internet and social networks to get connected socially with other people, and to help with school work. The boy uses different websites, internet tools, and social networks. Some of the internet tools that he uses are skype, google scholar, delicious, and more.


The first question being asked is "Why does the networked student need a teacher?" Well honestly, they probably could do it on their own if they had to; however, the help of a teacher would guide them and help them a lot along the way. Teachers help answer any questions or concerns, help the students to stay on task, and they encourage the students to learn. If there is something that the students are struggling with, the teacher is there to help them better grasp the concept that is being taught. So do they need a teacher? No. Is it better for them to have one? Yes! That is my opinion anyways.

The second question being asked is "Am I prepared to be a teacher of a networked student?" That is a very good question! I would love to say yes, but I am afraid that I'm only halfway there. I need to get a better understanding of all these social networking tools and internet resources before attempting to teach them to other people. It would be embarrassing for me to teach something and then find out that the kids know more about it than me. This class is helping me a lot to better understand the many tools of the internet, but I am afraid I have some more learning to do! I really enjoyed the video and watching how the boy used all of the internet references and websites, and I would like to learn more about the "networked student". I believe that once I learn more about this, then I will be prepared to be a teacher of a networked student.


Welcome to my PLE
This video was really cool! I would love to use something like this in my classroom. Her class blog had an agenda that helped them to be able to keep on track with their homework. It was really cool how she had all of the websites that she visits on her page where she could just click the icon any time she needs them.

1 comment:

  1. "to get connected socially with other people." Much more than socially!

    They may not need a teacher. But they do need a guide/facilitator I think.

    " It would be embarrassing for me to teach something and then find out that the kids know more about it than me." Well, get ready. I can guarantee that it will happen. Don't worry. Just create a learning community. We must all be learners!

    Don't get caught up in the method of organizing your PLN. It should contain lots of PEOPLE. How is your PLN coming along?

    ReplyDelete