Sunday, August 28, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

Hi, My name is Hillary Parmer. I was born and raised in good 'ole Mobile, Alabama. I graduated high school from Alma Bryant high in 2008, then went the following Fall semester to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. I went there for two years, and then last year, I transferred to South to begin taking Elementary Education classes. Over the summer, I married my best friend, James Parmer, and we now have a little girl on the way! I work at a retail pharmacy in Bayou la Batre named "RX Express" and have been there for two years. I wish I could say that I had awesome talents and interests like some people, but truth be told I am quite boring! I like to read books, watch movies, go to church, attend church activities, and get on facebook...I'm just a normal American!

Growing up, my mom was a teacher. She taught at private schools, and public schools. From K-5 to 3rd grade, I went to the school that my mom taught at. I always tried to tell my teachers that I was sick so that I could go sit in my mom's class room and watch her teach. When I was about 6, I pretended to teach to my stuffed animals in my room! As I got older, I realized that teaching is probably the only thing that I can see myself enjoying, (and it's important to enjoy what you do) so here I am!

The video on time management was very interesting to me. It made me realize how horrible at making and finishing to-do lists I am! He talked about doing the ugliest things first so that they will get done, and of course I always put them last and they never get done! An example: cleaning the house is always on there, and I always put it off so it doesn't always get done! He also talked about planning. He said "Failing to plan is planning to fail" and this is very true. If I don't plan things ahead of time, then usually they turn out horrible. This video was very helpful and I think that every college student should have to watch it!

4 comments:

  1. test comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to EDM310. When is the baby due?

    What did you find out about Dr. Pausch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to meet you Hillary! I am sure you have many talents as we all have talents. You say you feel that you "realized that teaching is probably the only thing that I can see myself enjoying" - I think that is a talent in itself, don't you?

    I am like you, I have problems with making my lists and housework is always at the very end of that list! I received some excellent advice when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was told that your child will always remember how much time you spent with them – but they really will not remember is all the laundry was always done or if the house was always spotless.

    Good luck with your marriage and your pregnancy! It is a wonderful adventure you and your husband have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hillary,

    We have so much in common. I to went to Alma Bryant High School, but I graduated in 2003. I also work across the street from you at Auto Zone. I have always thought that I could do more with my life and I think that teaching is a very important profession.

    Time is the easiest thing to have and lose at the same time. There never seems to be enough time to do all the tings that need to be done in a day. Constantly, we fight against a clock that never slows down. Time management is very important to be productive and continue to move forward in a positive direction.

    ReplyDelete